Saturday 18 January 2014

EVALUATION 3- What kind of media institution might distrbute your media product and why?

During the coursework I recently posted about the media institutions, I chose which one would fit best for my magazine, by what else it publishes and also the amount of people that read that particular magazine.

IPC media are a rather successful company who publish over 60 iconic media brands, it is a privately owned business however I decided that IPC MEDIA would be the best media institution for me as it already publishes NME which is the closest magazine to mine, also it is well known so people would recognise that my magazine is published by IPC. However recent research on IPC has made me change my  mind there is a problem with having IPC as my publisher would then make me have a competition between the sales of my magazine and NME as they have similar artists inside them.

If I didn't want the competition between my magazine and NME then I could have Bauer as my magazine publisher. Bauer is a very successful company, they are the largest european publisher so I know that if they published my magazine then I will have a mass audience. They sell one of the best selling magazines with over 700,000 copies a month and also produce may magazines worldwide to attract a wider audience. Although the magazines that they are currently selling are not my genre they have many different magazines genres so they do not just cater to one style of music. As we know Kerrang! is a rock magazine and Q is mainly based on chart music, they are two very different styles of music so I think that Bauer would benefit from having an Indie style music magazine.

After looking in more depth at the two media institutions I have now changed my mind. Beforehand I was going to have IPC but now I am going to have Bauer as there is a space for my magazine genre. I did look at two other media institutions which where oyster house media which was an independent publisher which was not as well established as I would hope. I also looked at BBC magazines but these did not publish music magazines so I thought that it would not be a good idea to go with this company.

So onto where my magazine will be sold. There are a lot of places that sell magazines from supermarkets to small corner shops. I would like my magazines to be sold in a well established store as then I will know that my target audience are more likely to buy from that place. Whsmith is a very well established store that sell a lot of magazines, people go into Whsmith to actually buy a magazine rather to look around. In comparison supermarkets have a wide variety of magazines however my target audience normally go to supermarkets for groceries rather than magazines. If my magazine was to sell well then businesses would happily stock my magazine, I believe that if you have your magazine in Whsmith then it is very popular. Either of these businesses would be ideal for my magazine as my target audience will shop at both of these stores. I do believe that the lower age of my target audience will buy from tesco and my higher age will go to Whsmith this is good as I will know that all ages of my target audience will have the opportunity to buy my magazine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment